Your best health is your most valuable asset.
What are you waiting for?
“I appreciate you taking the time to listen to what I’m looking for. I know there is something in my diet and/or lifestyle creating inflammation or something that is keeping me from reaching the next level, and I think with your help we can nail it down. You’re def. the doc I want to work with on this.”
INFORMATION AND RATES
In addition to Functional Medicine & Wellness consulting and specialty lab testing, Dr. Katherine is now offering on-site blood draws, advanced IV nutrient therapy, vitamin injections, comprehensive nutritional evaluations, natural hormone therapy, personalized supplement regimens, and health/nutrition coaching.
What you can expect from Dr. Katherine:
She is an experienced, licensed, board-certified medical doctor also certified through the Institute for Functional Medicine. She is also currently studying with the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, the Metabolic Medical Institute, and WorldLink. She sees all kinds of patients, from those looking for solutions to complex chronic illness to those who enjoy good health and want to be proactive in maintaining it. Her practice is small and she accepts a limited number of new functional medicine and wellness patients per month in order to maintain a personalized experience and the highest quality of care. Dr. Katherine gets the best results with patients who are willing to maintain a close working relationship with her and her team, provide frequent feedback, and check in often, so she tries to make that as easy and enjoyable as possible.
She is currently accepting new female and male patients for natural hormone therapy.
Dr. Katherine prefers to treat you as a whole person instead of focusing on a specific illness or disease, so her approach takes into consideration all of the systems of the body and how they are inter-related. Her patients come to her with a variety of needs and conditions, and some of those are listed below:
- Thyroid disorders
- Adrenal Fatigue/ HPA Axis Dysfunction
- Stress-related disorders
- Autoimmune disease
- Gastrointestinal complaints
- Food sensitivities
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Hormone imbalances
- Brain fog and cognitive decline
- Fatigue and energy issues
- Sleep disturbance
- Metabolic syndrome
- Systemic inflammation
- Toxin-related illness
What she expects from you:
- Dr. Katherine asks that those interested in functional medicine complete the application for consultation and book a complimentary call with her before she sees you as a patient.
- Hormone Therapy and Personalized Nutrition patients should call the office to schedule.
- She requires that you have a primary care doctor for routine health needs. She serves as a specialty consultant and cannot take the place of your regular doctor when it comes to acute illnesses, injuries, and routine health maintenance like mammograms, pelvic exams, prostate exams, cardiac stress testing, and colonoscopies.
- She asks that you always be open, honest, and thorough in providing the required information. Dr. Katherine also asks that you be patient and willing to implement healing strategies that may take 3 to 6 months, and sometimes longer for complex issues.
Dr. Katherine offers several great options to new functional medicine and wellness patients, as well as those looking for hormone replacement and personalized nutrition.
Have something else in mind? Apply for consultation and schedule a call to discuss it with Dr. K
- Option 1: Initial Comprehensive Case Review (ICCR) – This is how Dr. Katherine gets to know you and is required for all new functional medicine patients and complex cases. The ICCR is a thorough review of your health history, including any previous labs and records you upload for her to interpret, and a 60 to 90 minute appointment with her to give you a “functional” perspective on your health and create a diagnostic plan or give you a second opinion. Prior to this appointment, she goes through all of the questionnaires you completed, reviews your old records, and constructs your health profile. She also does some “thinking and linking” about your history and current issues. During the appointment, we fill in the blanks and create your unique health timeline. Lab testing is not included. Recommended labs and a proposed plan of treatment will be discussed at the end of our appointment with approximate pricing, and test kits prepared for you to pick up at a later date. $695 initial (Pediatric 16 and under initial consult rate $395) Follow-up visits $350/hr billed in 15-minute increments.
- Option 2: Optimal Wellness Package – For those that know they want to learn more about optimizing and managing their health with the ultimate guidance from her team, Dr. Katherine has created this package. By fully committing to the process, you enjoy a more personalized experience and a team approach. This 3-month package includes the initial consultation and unlimited follow-up appointments to discuss test results and implement healing strategies, health and nutrition coaching, unlimited email access for questions along the way, and a 10% discount on recommended professional-quality supplements and IV nutrient therapy. $2495, includes six 1/2 hour health coaching sessions. Does not include labs.
- Option 3: Optimal Wellness Extended Package – This 6-month package includes the initial consultation and unlimited follow-up appointments for those patients with more complicated health issues or those who need more time to reach their goals. Just like the 3-month package it includes health and nutrition coaching, unlimited email access for questions, and a 10% discount on recommended professional-quality supplements and IV nutrient therapy. $3595, includes six 1/2 hour health coaching sessions. Does not include labs.
- Option 4: Functional Medicine Specific Issue “Deep Dive” – Perhaps you’re well on your way down the wellness path, but having some trouble with specific issues and need a little help with advanced lab testing and interpretation. A 1-hour initial consultation and targeted lab testing with a 45-minute follow-up visit to go over results (for less complex issues only) $725, does not include labs
- OptimalSelf MD Membership: What happens after you’ve completed a wellness plan? Maintenance is everything! As a member of the practice, you are entitled to a visit with Dr. Katherine every 6 weeks to keep you on track, 10% off professional-quality supplements and IV vitamin therapy, and select aesthetics products and services like Botox, Juvederm, facial laser resurfacing, SculpSure laser body contouring, LightWave therapy, and Revision, Elta MD, and ABI skin care products. We’ll also gift you with some OSMD swag. $175/month
- Optimal Nutrition Package: A combination of genetics and nutritional testing to give you the tools to maximize your health long-term. The initial Nutrition Genome test is ordered and shipped to you, blood testing is done in the office, and your appointment with Dr. Katherine is scheduled for 6 weeks later to review everything in detail and design a regimen for you. $299 for Nutrition Genome, $649 for micronutrient testing and 1-hour consultation.
- BioTE® Natural Pellet Hormone Therapy: For both women and men. An initial consultation and diagnostic lab work is required to determine if it is right for you. Learn more here.
- IV Nutrient Therapy Consultation: An online health questionnaire is required and reviewed prior to your first infusion. If screening labs are necessary, Dr. Katherine will discuss those with you. Currently available are Myers cocktail with custom variations, FastVitaminIV, Vitamin C, Glutathione, and NAD (Brain Refuel) therapy. Come see for yourself how intravenous vitamin therapy can make all the difference! Cost varies based on protocol, starts at $150 for a basic Myers drip. Learn more here.
- Vitamin Injections: Classic B12 (both methylcobalamin and hydroxycobalamin available) as well as MIC (“fat-burning”) B12 for a boost of energy and metabolism. Vitamin D3 and glutathione injections also available $15 to $40
- Aesthetic/Plastic Surgery Services: Once you’re feeling amazing, you’re going to want to look that way too! Dr. Katherine has partnered with her husband (the other Dr. B) to provide convenient and accessible aesthetic services and surgery consultations in our beautiful downtown location on Tuesdays from 1-7 and Thursday 12-5 at the Pelham office, as well as occasional Saturday hours.
Payment – Payment is due at the time of service. We are out of network and do not accept private insurance, Medicaid or Medicare.
Dr. Katherine can provide you with a HCFA form and coded receipts to submit for reimbursement (except for Medicaid and Medicare). However, you are ultimately responsible for submitting the appropriate documentation that your insurance company requires for reimbursement. Please contact your insurance company to determine what their individual requirements are. You may use HSA/FSA cards if permitted by your insurance plan.
Submission of a claim for reimbursement does not guarantee payment and is subject to specific health plan benefits. Each health plan is different. Check with your insurance company about your out-of-network benefits.
Cancellation Policy: Due to the amount of time reserved for your appointment, we require notification of cancellation no less than 3 business days before your appointment.
Examples of Labs Dr. Katherine useS:
- Nutritional Evaluation: Depending on the patient, she uses Nutrition Genome, Maximized Genetics, Genova NutrEval, ION, Vibrant America Micronutrient, Spectracell Micronutrient testing, or a combination of these. All are very comprehensive, using either blood or urine and giving unprecedented depths of insight into your unique metabolic status and nutritional needs.
- Doctor’s Data Comprehensive Stool Analysis with Parasitology, GI-MAP, or Genova GI Effects – 1 to 3-day stool collection to evaluate digestion, absorption, elimination, potential bacterial imbalance, infections, yeast, parasites, and the state of your microbiome.
- Dunwoody Lab’s Intestinal Permeability Assay for quantitation of leaky gut, histamine levels, and DAO levels.
- Genova Diagnostics
- Cyrex, Dunwoody Lab, or KBMO FIT Test for food sensitivities – this test measures IgG antibodies and activated complement to limit the number of false positives.
- ElisaACT LRA or ALCAT for food and chemical sensitivities – this test measure lymphocyte reactivity, not antibodies.
- Precision Analytical’s DUTCH Test – dried urine testing for comprehensive hormones, including sex hormones and adrenal function. Dr. Katherine believes this is easier to collect than saliva for some patients.
- Maximized Genetics Advanced methylation panel & Nutrition and lifestyle panel
- Nutrition Genome
- Great Plains Laboratory Organic Acids, urine mycotoxins, glyphosate, and non-metal toxins
- ZRT salivary hormone, micronutrient and blood metals and adrenal function testing
- Quicksilver Scientifics Mercury Tri-Test and Blood Metals panel
- – Advanced lipid testing and ApoE genotype done locally
- Quest Labs for standard testing
- SpectraCell cardiometabolic biomarker panel – a customized panel for men or women that includes a CBC, comprehensive metabolic panel, hsCRP, ferritin, iron, hemoglobin A1c, and homocysteine, among other important tests.
- Comprehensive thyroid testing far beyond the standard TSH.
- Dr. Katherine uses many other specialty labs depending on the needs of her patients.
Many traditional lab tests, such as through Quest, may be covered by your insurance plan regardless of the ordering physician, but this is not true with every plan, and definitely not with specialty testing which is still considered “experimental”.
How do I know this will work for me?
Functional medicine is highly dependent on honesty, commitment, and patience. You have to believe in Dr. Katherine, yourself, and the process. Although Dr. Katherine has a high rate of success and your plan will be thoroughly researched and customized to your unique health status and your personal goals, no guarantees can be assured regarding the outcomes of nutritional protocols, dietary changes, or lifestyle modifications.
How do you do virtual visits?
UPDATE: At this time Dr. Katherine IS unable to provide consultation services across state lines without an initial in-person visit. If you cannot travel to see her, do not apply for consultation. At some point the laws may become more clear, but as an MD Dr. Katherine is held to a higher standard than other practitioners of functional medicine.
Virtual visits are for individuals who cannot or ￼choose not to be seen in the office at least once per year. In such a case, a legally binding doctor/patient relationship is not established. Thus, the “telemedicine” or virtual consultation is for educational and health coaching purposes only. Assessments and recommendations are intended to assist you and your local health care provider in using natural means to support your health. Recommendations are not intended to serve as a medical diagnosis or treatment. If you are unable to come to Dr. Katherine in person for initial consultation but wish to have an in-person consultation, in some cases arrangements can be made for me to come to you. Otherwise, she is happy to discuss your health needs and coach you back to health via virtual visits. These consultations are for advice and guidance, but please note that Dr. Katherine will be unable to treat you “medically” and will be unable to include this communication as part of your official medical record. Please message her if you have any questions.
In order to give you the full concierge experience, you will meet Dr. Katherine online as if you were in her office, and test kits can be shipped directly to you to be collected. Since she is unable to do a physical exam, there are certain instances where a virtual visit would not be appropriate. In most cases, however, Dr. Katherine can take you through the process without you having to travel to see her!
What is your cancellation policy?
When you call and schedule an appointment, time is reserved especially for you and no one else. Since the appointments are much longer than standard office visits, cancellations are significant interruptions to the schedule. Thus, a minimum of 7 days’ notice is required for cancellations of new patient visits and 2 days’ notice for existing patients. There is a 50% office visit charge for “no-shows” or late cancellations.
What are your rates?
Please see the consultation page for more information. Dr. Katherine works with a limited number of clients at a time which allows her to concentrate on your case and work closely with you towards your goals.
How do I send you my medical records?
Medical records can only be released with your authorization. It is your responsibility to obtain previous medical records from other physicians or health care providers that you want Dr. Katherine to review. If you feel your medical records are pertinent to your appointment with her, please contact your physician or other health care provider to obtain these records and make sure that she has received them at least 14 days prior to your initial appointment. Your medical records can be mailed or faxed to Dr. Katherine office at 864.626.0609 or uploaded directly to your patient portal if you are a registered patient.
Do I have to buy my supplements from you?
There are no requirements that you buy them from Dr. Katherine, only that you use the ones she recommends or approves. She uses the highest quality, purest supplements in order to guarantee results and reduce potential reactions. If you buy other brands in order to save money, you take the risk of getting substandard or contaminated products. Don’t bargain shop when it’s your health that’s on the line. You’ll end up wasting money, or worse, damaging your health.
What happens if I need to go to the hospital or see a specialist?
In providing patients with superb care and unprecedented access to her as their functional medicine physician, Dr. Katherine intends to prevent or reduce hospitalizations and specialty referrals. In those circumstances, she will certainly continue to serve you however she can during your hospital stay or visits with specialists. In some cases, depending on the level of care and the sorts of expertise required, she will rely on those specialized caregivers to manage your treatment.
What kind of labs do you do?
Dr. Katherine uses specialty laboratories for most of her testing, but she also uses Quest for more conventional testing. During your consultation, she will determine which tests are needed and then review the testing recommendations, the instructions and cost. Some testing can be performed at home with test kits to collect urine, saliva or stool samples. Others may require a blood draw at a specific time of day. Dr. Katherine can draw blood at the office. Some patients may elect to use a concierge lab draw service for the utmost in convenience!
Do you take insurance?
Dr. Katherine does not accept any insurance, including Medicare or Medicaid.
THERE ARE MANY INDIVIDUAL FACTORS INVOLVED IN HEALTHCARE COSTS AND PRICING:
- The fraction of the total cost that your insurance covers, which varies by plan (ex. 80:20)
- The amount you have already paid for healthcare expenses this year (your deductible)
- If your insurance provider is “in network” or “out of network” with the lab performing the testing
- Whether you meet medical criteria required by insurance for coverage of your testing
Dr. Katherine recommends that you check with your insurance provider about your “out of network” benefits and deductible to better understand any restrictions or financial obligations you may have under your current plan. For instance, if you have to meet a large deductible before labs are covered, you may decide that paying cash is a more affordable option and may apply to your deductible for the year. She offers all labs to you at a discounted cash price, but some lab companies will take a co-pay and bill your insurance depending on your coverage.
Her practice is highly specialized and uses advanced and sometimes controversial diagnostic studies and interventions, many of which are not covered by the average health insurance plan, nor should they be. Insurance coverage is really meant for emergencies, non-elective surgeries, expensive medications, routine labs and radiology, and injuries – not health improvement and maintenance.
A growing number of doctors have moved away from accepting insurance because they are tired of insurance companies dictating the amount of time and type of care they can provide their patients.
In the insurance system, every encounter must be submitted as a billing claim to the insurance carrier in order for the doctor to get paid. The doctor only gets a small portion of the billing as payment. Therefore, doctors in the insurance system must see 3,000 patients or more per year (that’s about 30-40 visits per day) just to generate enough billing claims to pay for an office and make a living. This is why you wait so long for an appointment, only to get a few rushed minutes with your doctor.
The insurance system also limits the type of care you get. Your doctor is only able to discuss issues pertaining to the specific visit type so the encounter can fit into an insurance billing claim. Many labs aren’t covered if you don’t have a particular condition that justifies checking them. If you have another issue, you have to schedule another appointment. Most doctors are as frustrated as you are about it.
Dr. Katherine won’t sacrifice her patients’ care. She chooses her patients’ well-being over insurance payments. Because of this choice, she has complete freedom to provide highly personalized, cutting-edge, and unrushed care. Her patients know they can reach her with questions almost any time of the day, any day of the week. She doesn’t need extra staff just to handle insurance claims. Any issue can be discussed that needs to be addressed at any appointment. The focus is on building optimal health, not doing the “bare minimum” or just treating the symptoms of illness after it happens. In this kind of high-value health care practice, you truly get what you pay for.
Can you be my primary care doctor?
Dr. Katherine’s services are as a rule limited to that of consultation only. She requires that you maintain a working relationship with a primary care doctor for routine screening exams such as physical exams, pap smears, mammograms, colonoscopies, prostate exams, vaccinations and acute illness care or emergency situations requiring immediate attention or hospitalization. If you have a team of specialists, Dr. Katherine respectfully asks you continue to see them as needed. Her services are an enhancement to – not instead of – your standard medical care.
Do you only see patients in South Carolina?
Though many of her patients are located in South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia, Dr. Katherine has the ability to work with patients wherever they may be by way of virtual office visits. She prefers the first visit to be in person, and that can be in her home office or a house call. That kind of one-on-one personalized initial visit can be of tremendous benefit. If we’re going to be working closely together, she needs to know about your life, family, and environment. If you have a fast internet connection, a telemedicine platform or Skype can be used. Dr. Katherine can ship test kits anywhere in the U.S. for you to collect and send to the specialty labs she uses.